Nothing says soup season like low temps and snow! Here are healthy yet delicious chicken soup recipes you can make to stay warm and full.
There’s nothing better than a hot bowl of chicken soup during the winter season, especially when you feel under the weather. These 11 chicken soup recipes not only taste great, but are pretty healthy for you. Power through your day with one of these bowls that’s packed with nutrients, warmth, and all the cozy feels.
And if you need extra help during cold or flu season, try Theraflu, an over-the-counter medicine that brings powerful symptom relief, so you can get back to your busy life ASAP!
Healthy and Delicious Chicken Soup Recipes
Here’s our favorite chicken soup recipe. This recipe by Martha Stewart will give you a bowl of delicious warmth to settle your stomach and help make your symptoms bearable. This made-from-scratch soup is chock full of spices, hearty veggies and shredded chicken, and is easier to whip up than you think. It makes approximately 10 servings and takes about 45 minutes to prepare.1
¼ cup of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
5 whole black peppercorns
1 dried bay leaf
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 clove fresh garlic
1 pound carrots
1 pound parsnips
1 to 2 medium onions, diced
1 4-pound chicken
- Put the parsley leaves, peppercorns, bay leaf, thyme, and garlic in a kitchen twined tie or in a cloth that is heat-proof so that the seasoning can mix into the soup.
- Add the garlic and herb mix from above, carrots, parsnips, onions, and chicken to a pot.
- Cover the ingredients with enough water that they’re all submerged.
- Season the water with coarse salt.
- Bring the contents of the pot to a boil.
- Reduce the temperature to a lower heat so that the contents are simmering.
- Continue to cook until the chicken isn’t raw on the inside.
- Once the chicken has completely cooked, remove it from the pot.
- Remove the herb and garnish mixture from the pot.
- Shred the chicken into favorably sized pieces and return the shredded meat to the pot.
- Use the salt and season to taste.
Here are some other great chicken soup recipes that can help relieve your symptoms:
Try a twist on classic chicken soup with this semi-homemade recipe, which features salsa verde, chunks of chicken and cannellini beans.
Wide egg noodles amp up the hearty factor in this chicken stock-based soup that will warm you from the inside out on a cold day.
In less than an hour’s time, you’ll have this Thai take on traditional chicken soup. Coconut milk, fish sauce and lime combine to give the broth an exotic flair.
Get in on the spiralizing craze with a soup that substitutes zucchini zoodles for regular noodles. Your waistline will thank you.
5. Vegetarian Chicken Noodle Soup
Make it meatless — for Monday or any day of the week — with this tofu and chickenless chicken-broth adapted recipe from blogger Kiersten Frase of Oh My Veggies.
6. Chicken and Brown Rice Soup
For an even healthier take on America’s favorite soup, try a brown rice-based recipe. This one is low in fat and added sugars.
7. Chicken Noodle Soup for One
Party of one right now? Use this scaled-down recipe for a single serving of chicken soup.
For a fancier, grown up version of chicken soup, try this dish that features white wine, lemon juice and English peas along with lemon zest as a garnish.
9. Chicken Spinach Artichoke Soup
With its spinach and artichoke combo, this recipe offers a fresh new flavor that may remind you of warm spinachoke dip.
Blogger Susie Gall of Simply Sated developed this extra comforting soup that has a splash of wine and a touch of nutty gruyere cheese.
Each of these soups will bring you instant comfort. Find a spot to enjoy a bowl, and repeat.
1. Chicken Soup. Martha Stewart. https://www.marthastewart.com/340241/chicken-soup. Accessed 5/25/21.