Foods and drinks rich in vitamin C are great choices for staying healthy during cold and flu season.3 Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is vital to your body’s healing process.4 These quick and easy snack options contain vitamin C:4
- Oranges or orange juice
- Grapefruit juice
Yogurt is loaded with probiotics, or “healthy bacteria” that can keep the stomach and intestinal tract free of disease-causing germs.5 Probiotics may influence your body’s immune response,6 which is important when preventing sickness.
Yogurt is loaded with probiotics, or “healthy bacteria” that can keep the stomach and intestinal tract free of disease-causing germs.
Broccoli is a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and folic acid.3 Folic acid is vital for the production and maintenance of your body’s cells.7 Raw broccoli is a healthy snack you can bring with you easily.
Whole grains like oats, bran, and wheat are packed with fiber.8 Studies show promising evidence of the immune-enhancing effects of fiber.9 Oat bars are a great on-the-go option for eating whole grains.
Whole grains like oats, bran, and wheat are packed with fiber. Studies show promising evidence of the immune-enhancing effects of fiber.
Tea contains antioxidants, flavonoids, and anti-inflammatory properties.10 Drink several cups daily and bob the tea bags up and down to extract the most nutrients. Too much caffeine can be dehydrating1 so keep in mind that decaffeinated tea contains the same benefits.
Low-calorie beef jerky contains high amounts of zinc, which supports a healthy immune system.11 A bag of mixed nuts is also a zinc-loaded alternative.
- Healthy Habits to Help Prevent Flu. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/actions-prevent-flu.htm. Accessed on 06/03/2021.
- How to boost your immune system. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-to-boost-your-immune-system. Accessed on 06/03/2021.
- 8 Vitamins & Minerals You Need for a Healthy Immune System. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/eat-these-foods-to-boost-your-immune-system/. Accessed on 06/03/2021.
- Vitamin C. https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-vitamin-c/art-20363932. Accessed on 06/03/2021.
- Prebiotics, Probiotics, and Your Health. https://www.mayoclinic.org/prebiotics-probiotics-and-your-health/art-20390058. Accessed on 06/03/2021.
- Probiotics: What You Need to Know. https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/probiotics-what-you-need-to-know. Accessed on 06/03/2021.
- Does Folic Acid Improve Immunity? https://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/does-folic-acid-improve-immunity. Accessed on 06/03/2021.
- Chart of high-fiber foods. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948. Accessed on 06/03/2021.
- The immune-enhancing effects of dietary fibres and prebiotics. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12088522/. Accessed on 06/03/2021.
- The Hidden Health Benefits of Tea. https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2019/december/health-benefits-of-tea.
- Zinc. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/zinc/. Accessed on 06/03/2021.