COLD & FLU: WHAT’S TRUE AND FALSE
MYTH 1: Feed a cold and starve a fever (or vice versa).
TRUTH: Either way it’s wrong. Eat healthy to get healthy.1
MYTH 2: Antibiotics cure colds and flu.
TRUTH: The cold and flu are viruses. Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections.2
MYTH 3: Cold weather causes a cold.
TRUTH: Cold temperatures with low absolute humidity levels can increase transmission of viruses.3
MYTH 4: Drinking milk produces more mucus.
TRUTH: It has no impact on mucus production but it is full of vitamins and minerals.4
MYTH 5: The flu vaccine can give you the flu.
TRUTH: The virus in the vaccine is inactive and can’t cause an infection.5
MYTH 6: Sweat it out.
TRUTH: Dehydration can make you feel worse. Drink lots of fluids.1
FACT 1: Go for a steam.
Inhaling steam loosens mucus and opens blocked airways.4
FACT 2: Gargle with salt water.
A sore throat can be soothed by gargling with warm water mixed with salt.6
FACT 3: Eat chicken soup.
The steam helps with congestion while the broth keeps you hydrated.6
FACT 4: Blow your nose often.
Sniffling can encourage a sinus infection.7
FACT 5: Cool mists help.
Humidifiers can help ease nasal congestion.6
FACT 6: Hog the pillows.
An extra pillow elevates the head to open nasal passages and drain congestion.7
1. Preventing the Flu: Good Health Habits Can Help Stop Germs. (2015). Retrieved February 16, 2016, from http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/habits.htm
2. Treatment. (2016). Retrieved May 11, 2016, from http://www.cdc.gov/flu/consumer/treatment.htm
3. 10 Flu Myths - Harvard Health. (n.d.). Retrieved February 16, 2016, from http://www.health.harvard.edu/flu-resource-center/10-flu-myths.htm
4. Phlegm. Retrieved February 16, 2016, from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455
5. Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine. (2015). Retrieved February 16, 2016, from http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm
6. Sinusitis Prevention and Treatment on MedicineNet.com. (n.d.). Retrieved February 16, 2016, from http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=54458
7. What to do about sinusitis - Harvard Health. (n.d.). Retrieved February 16, 2016, from http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_watch/2009/March/what_to_do_about_sinusitis
you may also like